Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Last Year Part Three

I went up to a secluded part of Yellowstone (actually a plateau between the two northern entrances) and after taking a walk along a self-guided tour, I came back at night to take pictures of the Milky Way. My camera isn't really set up to take pictures for as long as necessary (the stars move during the length of time it takes to take the picture - around 32 seconds - so there is a little bit of fuzziness). I also took a picture of the Big Dipper.



I went over to Yellowstone Lake. It was the first time I had ever been there. I started hiking a trail that led off from the lake but was unable to go very far (left knee). On the way back to my car, I saw this lovely little fox wandering through the meadow.
The lake is very beautiful.
In late July, I was asked to come to Flathead Lake State Park, Big Arm Unit. It is something that I see everyday, since I am stationed in the entrance booth, and my office window looks down on the lake.
While I was there, I went to Glacier National Park. I was able to hike the trail to St Mary Falls, which I couldn't do last year because of the fire in this area. I saw this woodpecker working on one of the fire ravaged trees. You can see all the fire damage done in the area and there were a lot of burned trees, unburned trees and regrowth.
Saint Mary Falls was worth the hike. You can see the burned trees in this area.
Some of the burned area near the road on the east side of Logan Pass.
Saint Mary Lake.
Some of the regrowth in the burned area.
East side of Logan Pass.
Wildlife at the site were I lived until late September.
During the winter, I was a camphost at Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. I was there from October 1 through January 1. While there, I wandered over to look at the Salton Sea. The dead fish smell was awful. The dead bodies were all over the "beach". Not a place I would ever want to stay.

In the desert around Borrego Springs, an artist had put up all these marvelous metal sculptures. The detail on all of them was incredible.





The desert was mostly very dry and while the ocotillo had some leaves and some blooms, they were mostly just the barbs

The sunrises were gorgeous.
At Font Point, you can look into the badlands. This overlook was quite a drop and an unexpected delight. I was led blindfolded to this place, so it was a shock to see the incredible view below me.
After having my left knee replaced in February, I returned to Flathead Lake State Park, Big Arm Unit for the summer of 2017. I will be working in the entrance booth again, and I will find time to explore more in the area.

So, now we're all caught up.

No comments :

Post a Comment