Sunday, August 6, 2017

Happy Birthday Hike to Hidden Lake Overlook

I went up to Glacier National Park and actually had my wallet this time. Of course, I got there so early, the entrance station wasn’t open. Drove right through. Made it up to Logan Pass through the smoke and haze resulting from the fires in MT and elsewhere.

The last time I was here, I hiked up to Hidden Lake Overlook. It is 1.5 miles each way (uphill mostly to that point, mostly downhill on the way back). This was the first hike I have taken since getting my left knee replaced.
The trail was wet in places because there were still ice fields hanging around and sending their water down the hills (along the trail). The trail wasn’t particularly steep, but the stairs at the start and ending were the hardest part. The steps were very tall and inconsistent.


Saw a lovely marmot (nicknamed Manny the Marmot by someone watching him at the same time).
Finally got to Hidden Lake Overlook. The crowd was incredible. Too many people! The last time, I couldn’t see the lake because of the smoke from the GNP fire nearby. This time, the smoke was starting to come up to Logan Pass when I got there and increased as I was leaving.



I’m not sure how much longer the skies above Logan Pass will remain clear. The smoke seems to be increasing going north. But I had a good, although extremely slow, hike. Great way to celebrate my birthday!

No comments :

Post a Comment